Surviving a Gluten-ated Dining Hall

Hi again!

Okay - sooooo... time to talk about one of the places college students seem to spend a majority of their time at. It's possible you have already guessed it from the title of the post, but it's the DINING HALL!!! Ding, Ding, Ding!

I'll start by stating that while I was still at Roanoke College in the past semester before studying abroad, I had not been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. So, I can not compare food from the two dining halls, but I'll sure tell ya about the one here at Massey University!

Before coming to Massey, I signed up to live in a "catered" dorm (or hostel, as the Kiwis call dorms). This meant that I need to purchase a meal plan. I decided on the equivalent of one meal per day. I tried to contact the dining staff before my arrival, but had no luck - but I'm thinking that maybe I'll try again.

These last few days, I've felt sick of the dining hall. Lots and LOTS of fries. Lots and lots and lots of MEAT - mainly pork to be exact. And honestly, it's usually the same GF option for a few days at a time. It's pretty frustrating when I watch all of my fellow classmates eat delicious pasta dishes, while I eat the same pork and rice OR fries with sweet chili again and again. UGH.

I may be tired of fries.... I don't know....

On Sunday morning, Stacey and I decided to go for a bike ride on our fancy new Kmart bikes. (Kmart is like the Walmart of New Zealand!!) And so at 9:30, we happily walked our way to the dining room for some breakfast. Let me tell ya - out of sausage, eggs, bacon, breakfast sandwiches, granola - the list goes on - I had approximately two choices, bacon or the one GF cereal. Please explain to me why sausage has GLUTEN? Also, here in New Zealand, the bacon is quite undercooked. So it's a bit greasy and bright pink, something I've had to get used to.

I chose to try the GF Coco O's for breakfast with a banana. The Coco O's did not really have much flavor, but they'll do!


For dinner, I was really in the mood for a burger. So I asked if I could have a burger without a bun... And you'll never guess! The meat patties have GLUTEN in them. Come on people!!! The really nice dining hall man offered to make me a "burger" sandwich with pork, and I definitely wasn't going to pass up on the offer. I guess, sometimes all you have to do is ASK! This was by far the best meal I've had on campus! 


Ketchup, mayo, lettuce, onions, tomato - this is a REAL sandwich! And this gluten free bread was delicious.

Sometimes it's easy to feel down when you just want a big plate of pasta, but life goes on. And I'm slowly learning that all you have to do is ASK. When you tell people you can not eat gluten, most people want to find you something to eat - not just fries on repeat.

I'll keep everyone posted on the dining hall food!

Until next time,

Becs
(4 March 2018)


Comments

Popular Posts