Festival of Cultures 2018

Hi friends!

So, this past weekend, I had the awesome opportunity of attending Palmerston North's Festival of Cultures. It was incredible to see people from all different backgrounds coming together to celebrate their heritage and culture. Each country that attended had their own booth with an activity and food. Let me tell you - that place smelled amazing.

It took me walking through the entire festival to find Gluten Free friendly foods, which was disappointing, but expected. I wanted to eat empanadas, churros and breads until my heart and stomach were content, but I prefer not getting sick!!!

Luckily, the two things I did find were ABSOLUTELY delicious.

First, I had ice cream for breakfast thanks to the Cook Islands tent!

Look at this BEAUTY! People kept asking me where in the world I found this! The Cook Islands, people!!!!!
This sundae was inside of a pineapple half! Chopped pineapple, with two scoops of vanilla ice cream, cream (or whipped cream, as we call it at home), and passionfruit drizzle. Super yummy. Passionfruit is interesting - I still don't get why they eat the seeds, apparently it adds to the flavor. This sundae is perfect for a summer night at home, so watch out USA!!!! I'm a pineapple sundae lover now!

If you look closely at the picture, there's a pink wafer. I removed it. I did not know they were on the sundae, otherwise I would have asked for the people making the sundaes not to put it on there!

After my breakfast sundae, I ventured around some more, listened to some awesome music, and eventually stumbled upon the Spain paella tent! Gluten free AND dairy free, they even had a vegetarian option, hitting most of the bases! Wow. I miss Spain with a passion. The paella was incredible. The portion was huge. The line was sooooo long, so I guess this paella is well-known!

Absolutely filled with sausage, chicken and seafood bites! Even a lemon on the side for extra flavor!!!
Even when it's hard to walk around with all of my friends who find delicious eats that I can not try, I know the company and friendships are the really important things that come out of these experiences!

On Friday morning, our 2 week break begins here and so I'll be traveling all over! I can not wait to share all of the awesome things I find to eat while I'm in Sydney (Australia) and the south island of New Zealand.

Happy trails.
xx Becca
(28 March 2018)

Comments

Popular Posts