51 Days into 2018

On February 1st, I stood in my kitchen, crying. Crying? Yes, crying... About pasta. My favorite restaurant is a restaurant in Georgetown, D.C. named Filomena's - talk about pasta to die for. The pasta is handmade with a secret family recipe and once you try it, you know exactly why the little place, tucked down under some buildings on Wisconsin Avenue is chock-full on an awkward Thursday night. It is just darn GOOD.

On my adventure to New Zealand, I sat and explained to another student from the United States what Celiac Disease is. And if you're confused... Here is a little video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzBApAx5lY

He asked me, "What do you think of the people following the 'gluten-free' trend?" I spit my answer right out, "It's stupid. I love gluten." Eat that yummy bread and pasta (unless it makes you sick, of course, that is NO fun)!!!!

Today, while browsing New World Market, a nice grocery store chain in New Zealand, I could feel my heart sinking. Can I eat anything? Luckily, I found a gluten free section and some tasty looking snacks. But as I sit her typing, I am hesitating to say that I think everything will be easy this semester.

I am beyond excited to be in Palmerston North (Palmy) for the semester. New Zealand is just incredible. But... I'll be sharing a kitchen (stove, oven, fridges, etc.) with 51 other people. I do not have cooking utensils, and I do not want to buy too many... Out kitchen has the bare minimum, but I'll make it work. I just need to find my groove, and I think that will be much easier once classes (or 'papers' the Kiwis say) begin and I establish a schedule.

I am quite glad that I only snagged the one-meal-per-day meal plan, as for both lunch and dinner, the only gluten free option was a mound of PORK. I can only eat so much pork in one day!!!! Hopefully once school begins there will be more options for whatever meal I decide to go to the dining hall during. I am thinking there will be, because there are signs everywhere celebrating how diverse the food is at Massey University. I'm sure I'll get some ideas for cooking at home from the dining hall as well.

I'll share my grocery list for the week from New World - I'm quite excited to try new brands of GF food!
1. Buontempo Rice Macaroni Pasta
2. Gerry's Wraps 'Go No Gluten' 10 in.
3. some cajun seasoning
4. Pam's crunchy peanut butter
5. Puffo's cheese tubes (similar to Cheetos)
6. GF Muffin Splits - sourdough
7. Real Foods rice flakes (cereal)
8. Sunrise Rice/Quinoa quick cups
9. Wallaby's classic crackers, cheese
10. Cauliflower (grated)
11. Butter
12. GF Angus Beef and Beetroot Meatballs

I'll report back on how I feel about these lovely new finds! They all look yummy.

Today, during our time in town, I ate two delicious gluten free foods. Here ya go! HMU Palmy!

The Coffee Club in downtown Palmerston North has GF options, so for breaky I ate this INCREDIBLE apple rhubarb crumble! They heated it up, and it was so delicious. In NZ, their 'iced coffee' is actually a blended frappe-like drink. Yum!

This is a rosti (potato and carrot fritter) with salad and tomato sauce (ketchup)! It's from a little cafe downtown called MUNCH - Global Street Food. This little eating center has many different options, including burgers, Japanese and Mexican!

I'll be visiting Taupo tomorrow and Thursday, so I'll definitely be posting pictures soon!

Cheers,
Becs

(20 February 2018)

Comments

Popular Posts